Thursday, January 28, 2010

I noticed in Santiago that...

Today is my last day in Santiago, until Feb 24 where I will be back for a day to pick up my bag that Ale and Paul are kindly storing for me. Paige and I will also be flying to Lima from Santiago on the 24th. It has been a fun and fast 4 weeks here. We leave on the 10:50pm bus to Pucon tonight and thus kick off our month long travel through Chile, Patagonia, and Argentina.

Before I go, here are some things I have noticed in Santiago this past month...

1. Helado (ice cream) or any cold desserts are popular. Especially around 5/6pm. Seems everyone is at an ice cream palor or have a popsicle in their hands
2. Excuse me (in spanish, not english) means nothing on the subway. you say it and you push your way through.
3. PDA is very much everywhere.
4. So is breastfeeding in public, it requires no cover up.
5. Short shorts should be worn with leggings. I can understand short skirts...but shorts? really? It is summer...not winter people...
6. Colorful bra straps are the "in" trend with the younger girls.
7. I stop traffic, literally. Guess they never seen an Asian walking around, much less one that walks around most times with one or two blonds. Example: one late night walking home, this car slowed to a crawl while the driver was rubbernecking me. weird.
8. Chinese food sucks big time here, yet the owners are asian. porque?!? como?!?
9. No one is around on Sundays. Its like a ghost town. Nothing is open.
10. Palta is avocado and it is on everything. And it is especially good on choripan (chorizo and bread).
11. When you say no mayo, you still get mayo. No mayo is not comprehended.
12. Recharging your cell phone with minutes is super easy. Just give $ to the rep at the metro stop and they'll do some magic thing on your phone...viola, minutes added. less than 1 min.
13. Though people generally look at me with a perplexed look when I speak to them in my badass spanish, they still try their hardest to help me. Nice people.

Santiago is an awesome place. I will be back!

1 comment:

  1. can't wait till you're back, with colorful bra-straps and your badass spanish ;)

    ReplyDelete