Monday, January 25, 2010

Britney Spears for Wine Tasting





Cousino-Macul, Oldest winery in Chile, so they say, and use to be one of the world's richest people (this I can believe). We took the metro to Quilin and hopped on a cab to get to Cousino-Macul, it is the cloest and easiest vineyard/winery to get to from Santiago. It is HUGE!! The ground is beautiful but most are closed off to visitors as the family still owns the vineyard and lives there. Compared with the hustle and bustle of Concha y Toro, Cousino-Macul is much more low key and tranquil. Much like how I imagined a winery should be like. Everything feels very leisurely. Our tour guide walked us through where they make wines and the wine cellar. In the wine cellar, Cousino-Macul has a wine 'library' where theyt store every wine they have produced in the past. According to our tour guide, the oldest drinkable wine in that cellar is 1968. I tried my best to bat my lashes to get him to let me in unfortunately, only the family has the key. Doh! Down in the cellar we tasted a 'rose' cabernet sauvignon wine called Gris. Delicious!! And VERY affordable (2 buck chuck price and a whole lot tastier). I asked if they sell this over in the US, and to my disappointment, they do not. Cousino-Macul produces such low volume yearly that only certain wine gets exported to other country, especially the UK. Thoughts of moving to the UK popped in my brain as I drank this wine. After the tour, we went to taste their cabernet sauvignon and here is where the title came from. Britney Spears was playing overhead. TOTALLY out of place, yet somehow, I felt slightly comforted by the fact that Britney was there with me, via Oops I did it again. A fabulous ending to a great winery.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great - Britney was just icing on the cake. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete